An open source implementation of the X Window System that has been ported to OS/2 as simply XFree86OS/2, sometimes shortened to XFree86/2, and can be run as an alternative graphical shell or as a task. In addition to the X Window System itself the XFreeOS/2 project ported a whole host of applications to the system from the world of UNIX and UNIX like operating systems.
It should be noted that in X Windows parlance, and therefore in XFree86 as well, the terms "Client" and "Server" have the exact opposite meaning to what the rest of the world thinks they mean.
Links & publications
- Xfree86 homepage
- XFree86/OS2 Project - The old XFree86 home pages, now woutdated bt there might be some useful info hiding there.
- Dutch XFree86/OS2 page - 20 years out of date, but some useful info nonetheless.
- Blonde Guy's Xfree86OS/2 installation tutorial
- Christian Hennecke: Installing XFree86/OS2 4.3.0 - From OS/2 Voice Newsletter.
- Chris Wenham: Installing XFree86 in OS/2 (from OS/2 e-Zine)
- Holger Veit: Notes on Rebuilding XFree86®/OS2 from Scratch
- Background info
- Chris McKillop: OS/2 and X-Windows... Come Again? - Interview with Holger Veit about XFree86 on OS/2
Authors & publisher
- The XFree86 Foundation
- Holger Veit (OS/2 port)