Typo3 is an open source Content Management System for the web implemented in the PHP scripting language and suitable for both small installations and institutional users and is less resource hungry than most other PHP based CMS's, while being much easier to set up than the Perl based ones. There is an alternative called Typo3 Neos that is a version of Typo3 that has been rewritten from scratch for better performance.
Simple template language that can be used with the package and learning the basics of it is pretty much a requirement for any advanced use of the package.
Text editors with Typo3 support
- jEdit - Java based editor - TypoScript syntax highlighting built in - Current.
- Last known version: Typo3 v7.6.3 (2016-02-16)
- Other SQL databases are supported, including PostgreSQL, but some third party extensions only support MySQL
- Typo3 homepage
- Greggory Shaw has been threatening to write tips on how to set up a Typo3 site under OS/2.
- Rene Fritz, Daniel Hinderink & Werner Altmann: TYPO3: Enterprise Content Management – ISBN 1-904811-41-8
- Michael Peacock: Building Websites with TYPO3 – ISBN 1-84719-111-8
- Dan Osipov: TYPO3 4.3 Multimedia Cookbook - ISBN 978-1-84719-848-8
- Dmitry Dulepov: TYPO3 Extension Development – ISBN 978-1-84719-212-7
- Open source software released under the GPL v2
- Kasper Skårhøj (Original author)
- Oliver Hader (Current project leader)