Tips Techniques - November 1995
- If you want your OS/2 desktop to start up the same way regardless of what applications were opened at shutdown, edit the CONFIG.SYS file on your OS/2 boot drive and add/modify the line that contains the string RESTARTOBJECTS to one of the following: RESTARTOBJECTS=NO or RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY (this will launch the programs in your startup folder).
- Every time you install new applications on your system, it's good practice to select Create Archive on Bootup on the Archive page of the desktop Settings notebook before shutdown. However, remove that option for all other bootups.
- If you are typing commands in an OS/2 window and you want to recall one command in particular, instead of using the Up Arrow key and scanning through all the commands you previously typed, all you have to do is type a few characters (or all) of the given command and press the F1 key until you find the exact command you want to execute.
- To move a background window without taking the focus away from an active window, press and hold the Crtl key while you move the background window (place the mouse pointer on the title bar and drag it).
- If you want to adjust an icon on the desktop and move it a few pixels, click the mouse pointer on its edge and drag it.
- To change the title text on an icon, hold down Alt+F1 and click with mouse button 1 on the icon title text.
- Sometimes it's useful to increase the speed in which text in an OS/2 window will scroll. For example, you know that a directory is quite large and the screen will scroll for a while when you type DIR.
- Move the mouse pointer to the title bar of the window and then press and hold one of the mouse buttons for a second or two.
- To place a program template or folder template on the LaunchPad, follow these steps:
- Drag a folder template object from the Templates folder to your desktop.
- Drag the folder icon to the LaunchPad.
- Go to the General page in the Settings notebook for the folder icon you just dragged to the LaunchPad and check the Template option.
- Close the Settings notebook.
- Repeat these steps for the program template.
Reprint Courtesy of International Business Machines Corporation, © International Business Machines Corporation