Scala is an open source, strongly typed static object-oriented programming language implemented in Java, it has some functional programming features but is mostly reminiscent of Java itself and is commonly advocated and used by Java users as a sort of an abstraction. The functional features and a few other ideas are taken from the Funnel programming language.
Please note that there is another and older programming language called Scala that is or was a part of the SCALA multimedia/animation package.
- Last known version: Scala 2.11.7 (2015-06-23)
- Java version 6 or later.
- Editors support
- jEdit - Java based editor - Scala syntax highlighting built in
- Open source software released under the three clause BSD license.
- Author: École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Martin Odersky
- Martin Odersky: Programming in Scala 3rd Edition - Artima Press 2016, ISBN 0-9815316-8-7