Open source multi-platform SQL database with fairly strong transaction control that is more scalable than most other open source equivalents. It has support for unlimited database size, although in practice that may require multiple computers to host it, but distributed databases may be held of systems with different operating systems. It has native programming interfaces for C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl and ODBC.
- Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC)
- Point in time recovery
- Asynchronous replication
- Nested transactions (savepoints)
- Online/hot backups
- Sophisticated query planner/optimizer
- Write ahead logging for fault tolerance.
- Support for international character sets including multi-byte character encodings and Unicode.
- Locale-aware for sorting, case-sensitivity, and formatting.
- Stores large binary objects (Audio, executables and video, etc.)
- Almost complete SQL92 and SQL99 implementation.
- Fully ACID compliant
- Maximum Table Size: 32 TB
- Maximum Row Size: 1.6 TB
- Maximum Field Size: 1 GB
- Maximum Rows per Table: Unlimited
- Maximum Columns per Table: 250 - 1600 depending on column types
- Maximum Indexes per Table: Unlimited.
Foreign libraries with PostgreSQL bindings
- LibcURL - Internet URL (WWW, FTP, etc) access - Open Source - Current.
- Last known OS/2 version: 9.0.6 2011-12-23
- Last known versions for MS Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and FreeBSD : 9.4.1, 9.3.6, 9.2.10, 9.1.15 & 9.0.19 all dated 2015-02-05.
- Last known AIX versions: 9.3.5-1, 9.2.9-1, 9.1.14-1, 9.0.18-1 and 8.4.21-1 all dated 2014-08-14
Text editors with PostgreSQL support
- jEdit - Java based editor - PostgreSQL syntax highlighting built in - Current
- PostgreSQL homepage
- Paul Smedley's PostgreSQL post
- Enterprice dB - Company that offers commercial PostgreSQL suppot.
- Open source software released under the PostgreSQL License