This page is formerly known as "Timur Tabi's Programming Links", from the old EDM/2 web site. The content has seen some recent updates but is still not fully checked so you will find the odd dead link.
Most of the links are to OS/2-specific sources of information, however links to generic (i.e. not platform-specific) sources are sometimes included for completeness.
- 1 Other OS/2 and eComStation related web sites
- 2 Conferences, seminars and user groups
- 3 Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- 4 Translation projects and tools
- 5 Project and source hosting
- 6 Online References
- 7 Programming related news groups, forums and mailing lists
- 8 Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- 9 FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- 10 Low-level OS/2 programming
- 11 COBOL
- 12 Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- 13 Databases
- 14 OpenGL
- 15 Embedded Systems
- 16 Presentation Manager (PM)
- 17 Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- 18 Unix porting
- 19 Installatation, configuration, and update
- 20 Version Control and Project Management
- 21 Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- 22 Applications with documented plug-in API's
- 23 Editors and Viewers
- 24 Debuggers
- 25 Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
- 26 Miscellaneous
- 27 Historical computing and programming
- eCSoft/2 - OS/2 & eCS software news an listings - By far the best updated and most comprehensive out there - In both Italian and English.
- eComStation.ru - Loads of info in Russian and English
- OS/2 World - News, forums and Wiki.
- OS/2 Warp News and Rumors
- OS/2 and Ecomstation Korea South Korean user forums and so on, responsible for a number of OS/2 ports of UNIX software.
- OS/2.org - Used to be a generic info page on OS/2 and eComStation issues but is now primarily a German language forum, but as such all in all more popular than any English language one.
- WarpServer Blog - In German - News snippets on new and updated OS/2 software and more detailed blog postings on older ones.
- Nightcall BBS - These are the archives of what used to be the Scandinavian BBS, outdated but contains a lot of old files there that are not to be found anywhere else.
- Alex Chapman OS/2 Home Page - Tad outdated in parts but useful info buried in between.
- Wisdomtree - Collection of eCS & OS/2 related links.
- OS/2 related Facebook groups
- eComStation - The largest and most updated
- OS/2 World Facebook page
- Warpevents - Warpstock NA and Europe.
- OS/2 Warp Brazil
- Greek OS/2 Users
There are also a few related groups that have become invite only in the last couple of years.
- OS/2 related blogs
- Metztli Information Technology Blog - IBM VAR, mostly Linux and zSystem, but quite a number of OS/2 related blogs in-between.
- Twitter accounts
- OS/2 JP - Japanese language OS/2 related twitter account, mostly major news only
Conferences, seminars and user groups
Want to meet other OS/2 and eComstation users and developers?
- Warpstock - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held in North America yearly
- Warpstock Europe - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held in Europe yearly
- SCOUG Programming SIG - A special interest group of the Southern California OS/2 User Group
- HAL-PC OS/2 SIG - Meet other OS/2 users in Houston
- Philadelphia Alternate Systems User Group - Highly OS/2 oriented
- VOICE - A "virtual" user group, i.e. not geographically constrained and holds meetings only on-line.
- Wellington User Group - New Zealand
- Team OS/2 Hamburg - Germany
- A list of Worldwide OS/2 user groups - from VOICE
Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- BWW Bitwise Works - Austrian company that offers custom OS/2 programming services and more.
- Arca Noae - USA based company, offers driver updates and sundry custom install, development and deployment services.
- XEU - Dutch company that offers the eComStation OS and sundry related services
- eComStation.it/Massimo Sangriso - Italian integrator, provides all common services and sales locally.
- ERA Computers & Consulting - Tennessee, USA - Most consulting and installation work plus eCS pre-loaded systems.
- Neil Waldhauer aka Blond Guy - California, USA, does consulting and support of OS/2 related systems.
- Russ Harvey - OS/2 consultation and services in Canada
Translation projects and tools
- PIDO/2 - Italian translation project for eComStation and individual software packages.
Project and source hosting
- Codeplex - Microsoft's alternative, good but not flexible about licenses - Free
- Gitorius - Less popular alternative to GitHub - Free for open source projects
- Bitbucket - Offers both free and paid project hosting - not as flexible as some of the others.
- Code Base - Project hosting - Not free but inexpensive and has more features than most free alternatives.
- Launchpad - Project hosting - Primarily intended for open source projects.
- Google Code hosting - Reliable but has been shedding features lately and will be shut down in 2016
- Jira - Paid for only
- Unfuddle - Paid for project hosting
- Smalltalk Hub - Free open source hosting for Smalltalk related projects.
See also: Configuration management
Manuals and other online guides on OS/2 programming
- The OS/2 API Project - OS/2 API documentation on the web
- IBM BookManager - Tons of documents in BM format.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.tools - OS/2 development tools - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.porting - Porting software from other operating systems to OS/2 - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.oop - SOM, WPS, and other object-oriented OS/2 programming - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.misc - General OS/2 programming - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- Os2ddprog - Yahoo OS/2 Device Driver Development Group
- David's device driver page
Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- OS/2 e-Zine - The premier OS/2 news source, with the occasional developer-related article
- Microsoft Systems Journal back issues - Although they're no longer online, the older issues have lots of OS/2 information.
FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- BMT Micro's OS/2 catalog - A collection of shareware OS/2 tools
- Hobbes' dev directory - LOTS of stuff.
- Free compilers page - Search for a free compiler of any language - Tad outdated
Low-level OS/2 programming
Device drivers, real-time control, hardware access, etc.
- The OS/2 Programming Device Drivers mailing list - This page contains all driver-related information. Just go there!
- CFM TWAIN SDK - A toolkit for interfacing with scanners via the CFM TWAIN product
- Micro Focus COBOL for OS/2 3.1J - In Japanese, so I don't know what it says
- Casegen for COBOL - Generates CICS applications in COBOL
Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- VisualAge Generator - A RAD tool for Java, I think.
- Libero - A cross-platform visual programming tool for multiple languages
- Object WorkBench - A workframe for C++ and Java programmers
- ZMECH - A cross-platform visual CASE tool
- DB2/2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1 - Free download!
- Maxxum Consulting - Makers of the Base32 xBase compiler
- Astrac Visualizer - A database/workgroup tool like Lotus Notes
- e_Db Database Server - A cross-platform database server
- OpenGL web page -
- IBM OpenGL web page - It talks only about the AIX version, but the AIX developers wrote the OS/2 version.
- Magician - A Java front-end to OS/2's OpenGL engine
- ESP Magazine's embedded systems develop internet resources - Tons of links to WWW resources on embedded systems development.
- Texas Instrument's DSP Village - Search on "OS/2", you'll find some OS/2-hosted compilers
- Lattice ES68 C Development System - A C cross-compiler for 680x0 systems
- JAL V2 JAL Version 2 Pascal like language compiler for MicroChip PICs microprocessors (OS/2 eComStation version).
- XWISP2 - an eComStation(OS/2) support program for the Wisp628/648 PIC programmer.
Presentation Manager (PM)
- Generalised Bitmap Module - Libraries and source code for loading, saving, and manipulating images in a variety of file formats
- S Lib - A cross-platform GUI library for OS/2, Windows, and Unix. From the makers of Stellar Frontier
- V C++ GUI Framework - Cross-platform GUI Framework, now for OS/2!
- Anatomy of a PM program - An article by Les Bell
- Shape Window for OS/2 PM - Non-rectangular PM windows
- FreeType - Replacement TrueType engine for OS/2
- Cell Toolkit - Library for Split Views and Toolbars
Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- Crystal Space - A free 3D engine for OS/2 and other OS's, note that only older versions have explicit OS/2 support, but the code is fairly portable.
- Stéphane Charette's reference page - Various INF files for online viewing, including rare MMPM and gaming docs.
- SVGA & VESA Kit for emx - Write OS/2 programs that run in high resolution graphics modes
- SciTech MGL - Cross-platform 2D/3D graphics library, now available for OS/2!
- BlobCity - An OS/2 game like SimCity, with great multithreading and full source code
- Fly8 - A flight simulator, with source code
- DevBahn OS/2 Game Programming Sanctuary - My articles from OS/2 Monthly and other stuff
- The UNIX and OS/2 EMX Porting Companion - A guide to porting apps from Unix to OS/2
- EMX Resources - A list of applications ported to OS/2 using EMX
Installatation, configuration, and update
Create programs that install or configure your application
- SFX Installer - A one file archive/installation tool
- IBM Software Installer - The original software installation program from IBM
Version Control and Project Management
- ProjectFolder - A WPS IDE for Visual Age C/C++ 3.0
- Perforce - A cross-platform version control utility. SciTech uses it.
- Opus Make - A cross-platform powerful make utility
Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- SecureIt - Registration protection for your shareware application
Applications with documented plug-in API's
- CadWare's BlueCAD 1.0 - An excellent small and fast CAD package for OS/2
- Maul Publisher - An OS/2-only desktop publishing application
Editors and Viewers
- Fast Editor Lite - Small yet powerful programmers editor for OS/2
- PillarSoft's Enhanced E and EE editors - Small yet powerful editors, with some programmer features
- Andys Source Code Folding Editor - Cross-platform editor with the ability to group lines into a larger 'meta-line'
- Compile File Comparison Family - A set of cross-platform file-comparison utilities
- Interactive Code Analysis Tool (ICAT) - Source-level debugging for applications and drivers. Use this when your normal debugger fails.
- PMSysLog - An event logger equivalent to the Unix Syslog daemon
Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
Tools to work with help files and other documentation
- HTMIPF - Free HTML->IPF Compiler
- Développer sous OS/2 - A list like this one, but in French
- OS/2 and Linux Topics - And yet another mostly outdated index
- OS/2 emulation layer for NT - Emulates over 110 DOSCALL functions under NT
- Christoph Bratschi's Homepage - Small programmer's editor, Netscape plug-ins, MCI tester, some file viewers, etc.
- Telvox Software Shop - Some kind of cross-platform CODEC, I'm not sure what it does
- Opt-Tech Sort - Stand-alone or linkable cross-platform sort utility
- SMT - A multi-threading kernel for use with Libero (see above)
- Mozilla Cross-Reference - Lots of great developer utilities, with source code, from the Mozilla project