This page is formerly known as "Timur Tabi's Programming Links", from the old EDM/2 web site. The content has seen some recent updates but is still not fully checked so you will find the odd dead link.
Most of the links are to OS/2-specific sources of information, however links to generic (i.e. not platform-specific) sources are sometimes included for completeness.
- 1 Other OS/2 and eComStation web sites
- 2 Conferences, seminars and user groups
- 3 Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- 4 Translation projects and tools
- 5 Project and source hosting
- 6 Online References
- 7 Programming related news groups, forums and mailing lists
- 8 Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- 9 FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- 10 Low-level OS/2 programming
- 11 Java (OS/2-specific information here only)
- 12 Perl
- 13 COBOL
- 14 RPG
- 15 Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- 16 Databases
- 17 OpenGL
- 18 Embedded Systems
- 19 Presentation Manager (PM)
- 20 Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- 21 XFree86/OS2 (X Windows for OS/2) and other Unix porting
- 22 Patches, updates, fixpacks, and corrective service diskettes (CSDs)
- 23 Installatation, configuration, and update
- 24 Version Control and Project Management
- 25 Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- 26 Applications with documented plug-in API's
- 27 Editors and Viewers
- 28 Debuggers
- 29 Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
- 30 Miscellaneous
- 31 Historical computing and programming
Other OS/2 and eComStation web sites
- eCSoft/2 - OS/2 & eCS software news an listings - By far the best updated and most comprehensive out there. - In both Italian and English.
- eComStation.ru - Loads of info in Russian and English
- OS/2 World - News, forums and Wiki.
- OS/2 and Ecomstation Korea South Korean user forums and so on, responsible for a number of OS/2 ports of UNIX software.
- OS/2.org - Used to be a generic info page on OS/2 and eComStation issues but is now primarily a German language forum, but as such all in all more popular than any English language one.
Conferences, seminars and user groups
Want to meet other OS/2 and eComstation users and developers?
- Warpstock - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held in North America yearly
- Warpstock Europe - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held in Europe yearly
- SCOUG Programming SIG - A special interest group of the South California OS/2 User Group
- HAL-PC OS/2 SIG - Meet other OS/2 users in Houston
- Philadelphia Alternate Systems User Group - Highly OS/2 oriented
- VOICE - A "virtual" user group, i.e. not geographically constrained and holds meetings only on-line.
- Wellington User Group - New Zealand
- Team OS/2 Hamburg - Germany
- A list of Worldwide OS/2 user groups - from VOICE
Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- eComStation.it/Massimo Sangriso - Italian integrator, provides all common services and sales locally.
- ERA Computers & Consulting - Tennessee, USA - Most consulting and installation work plus eCS pre-loaded systems.
- Neil Waldhauer aka Blond Guy - California, USA, does consulting and support of OS/2 related systems.
- Russ Harvey - OS/2 consultation and services in Canada
Translation projects and tools
- PIDO/2 - Italian translation project for eComStation and individual software packages.
Project and source hosting
Websites that provide a range of support options for OS/2 developers
- Netlabs - A repository for OS/2 open-source projects - Free
- SourceForge - The oldest and most flexible of the free source/project sites.
- GitHub - Source code repository and version control - Free for open source projects
- Codeplex - Microsoft's alternative, good but not flexible about licenses - Free
- Gitorius - Less popular alternative to GitHub - Free for open source projects
- Bitbucket - Offers both free and paid project hosting - not as flexible as some of the others.
- Code Base - Project hosting - Not free but inexpensive and has more features than most free alternatives.
- Launchpad - Project hosting - Primarily intended for open source projects.
- Google Code hosting - Reliable but has been shedding features lately and will be shut down in 2016
- Jira - Paid for only
- Unfuddle - Paid for project hosting
Manuals and other online guides on OS/2 programming
- The OS/2 API Project - OS/2 API documentation on the web
- IBM BookManager - Tons of documents in BM format.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.tools - OS/2 development tools - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.porting - Porting software from other operating systems to OS/2 - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.oop - SOM, WPS, and other object-oriented OS/2 programming - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- comp.os.os2.programmer.misc - General OS/2 programming - Go to the Google groups version if you or your ISP does not offer newsgroup access.
- Os2ddprog - Yahoo OS/2 Device Driver Development Group
- David's device driver page
Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- Electronic Developer Monthly (EDM/2) - Your first stop for online OS/2 programming information
- OS/2 e-Zine - The premier OS/2 news source, with the occasional developer-related article
- Microsoft Systems Journal back issues - Although they're no longer online, the older issues have lots of OS/2 information.
FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- BMT Micro's OS/2 catalog - A collection of shareware OS/2 tools
- Hobbes' dev directory - LOTS of stuff.
- Free compilers page - Search for a free compiler of any language - Tad outdated
Low-level OS/2 programming
Device drivers, real-time control, hardware access, etc.
- The OS/2 Programming Device Drivers mailing list - This page contains all driver-related information. Just go there!
- CFM TWAIN SDK - A toolkit for interfacing with scanners via the CFM TWAIN product
Java (OS/2-specific information here only)
- Aaron William's OS/2 Java Page - Just start here
- Jikes for OS/2 - A command-line Java compiler
- Data Representations - Home of the very cool Simplicity Java development environment
- SerialPort - Java serial port control for several OS's
- comp.lang.java.programmer -
- COBOLTOOLS Easy Toolkit - A portability toolkit for COBOL platforms
- Micro Focus COBOL for OS/2 3.1J - In Japanese, so I don't know what it says
- Casegen for COBOL - Generates CICS applications in COBOL
- VisualAge for RPG Client - IBM's RPG software runs on an AS/400 server and an OS/2 or Windows client, although the web page touts the Windows version
- Visual Tools/400 - An extension to IBM's RPG compiler
Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- VisualAge Generator - A RAD tool for Java, I think.
- JBC's GpfRexx - A GUI builder based on Rexx
- Libero - A cross-platform visual programming tool for multiple languages
- Object WorkBench - A workframe for C++ and Java programmers
- ZMECH - A cross-platform visual CASE tool
- comp.lang.visual - Moderated
- OS/2 Database Mailing List - Still out there but very little action these days
- DB2/2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1 - Free download!
- Maxxum Consulting - Makers of the Base32 xBase compiler
- Astrac Visualizer - A database/workgroup tool like Lotus Notes
- Simple Software Solutions' e_Db - A cross-platform database engine
- e_Db Database Server - A cross-platform database server
- OpenGL web page -
- IBM OpenGL web page - It talks only about the AIX version, but the AIX developers wrote the OS/2 version.
- Magician - A Java front-end to OS/2's OpenGL engine
- DSP Development Tools - A substantial list from Embedded Systems Programming Magazine; only one or two support OS/2, but many are DOS apps.
- ESP Magazine's embedded systems develop internet resources - Tons of links to WWW resources on embedded systems development.
- Texas Instrument's DSP Village - Search on "OS/2", you'll find some OS/2-hosted compilers
- cc65 - A cross-compiler for the 6502 microprocessor.
- Lattice ES68 C Development System - A C cross-compiler for 680x0 systems
- JAL V2 JAL Version 2 Pascal like language compiler for MicroChip PICs microprocessors (OS/2 eComStation version).
- XWISP2 - an eComStation(OS/2) support program for the Wisp628/648 PIC programmer.
Presentation Manager (PM)
- Generalised Bitmap Module - Libraries and source code for loading, saving, and manipulating images in a variety of file formats
- S Lib - A cross-platform GUI library for OS/2, Windows, and Unix. From the makers of Stellar Frontier
- V C++ GUI Framework - Cross-platform GUI Framework, now for OS/2!
- Anatomy of a PM program - An article by Les Bell
- Shape Window for OS/2 PM - Non-rectangular PM windows
- FreeType - Replacement TrueType engine for OS/2
- Cell Toolkit - Library for Split Views and Toolbars
- Multithreading PM Applications - A document describing how to multithread your PM application
Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- Crystal Space - A free 3D engine for OS/2 and other OS's, note that only older versions have explicit OS/2 support, but the code is fairly portable.
- Stéphane Charette's reference page - Various INF files for online viewing, including rare MMPM and gaming docs.
- SVGA & VESA Kit for emx - Write OS/2 programs that run in high resolution graphics modes
- SciTech MGL - Cross-platform 2D/3D graphics library, now available for OS/2!
- BlobCity - An OS/2 game like SimCity, with great multithreading and full source code
- Fly8 - A flight simulator, with source code
- Spiceware OS/2 Programming info - Utilities, drivers, and links
- DevBahn OS/2 Game Programming Sanctuary - My articles from OS/2 Monthly and other stuff
XFree86/OS2 (X Windows for OS/2) and other Unix porting
- The XFree86 Project - Homepage for XFree86, a free version of X Windows for various platforms
- XFree86/OS2 Project - Run X Windows and several X applications under OS/2
- Dutch XFree86/OS2 page - Outdated but some useful info.
- Installing XFree86/OS2 4.3.0 - from Voice OS/2
- EMX Support Page - Info on using EMX to port Unix apps to OS/2
- The EverBlue Project - An OS/2 port of xlib (xlib is like PM for Unix)
- The UNIX and OS/2 EMX Porting Companion - A guide to porting apps from Unix to OS/2
- EMX Resources - A list of applications ported to OS/2 using EMX
- /dev/random Support Page - A random number generator
Patches, updates, fixpacks, and corrective service diskettes (CSDs)
- IBM VisualAge languages - IBM VisualAge languages
- IBM Visual Gen - IBM Visual Gen
- Other IBM languages - APL/2, C Set, PL/I
- DB2 - IBM's DB2 database product
Installatation, configuration, and update
Create programs that install or configure your application
- Installer/2 and Uninstaller/2 - An open source installation package for OS/2
- SFX Installer - A one file archive/installation tool
- IBM Software Installer - The original software installation program from IBM
- WarpIN Software Installer - The new standard in OS/2 software installation!
Version Control and Project Management
- The Configuration Management FAQ - the FAQ for comp.software.config-mgmt
- Team Connection - The grand-daddy of them all. Too bad IBM no longer markets it
- PrjBld - Use the WPS to create and manage project folders
- ProjectFolder - A WPS IDE for Visual Age C/C++ 3.0
- ProblemTracker - Tracks bug reports
- RCS 5.7 - The GNU revision control system
- CVS for OS/2 - Concurrent Version System, like RCS but better
- Perforce - A cross-platform version control utility. SciTech uses it.
- Opus Make - A cross-platform powerful make utility
Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- SecureIt - Registration protection for your shareware application
Applications with documented plug-in API's
- Sundial's Mesa/2 - Spreadsheet
- CadWare's BlueCAD 1.0 - An excellent small and fast CAD package for OS/2
- FaxWorks/PMfax API - An interface to OS/2's most popular fax software
- Maul Publisher - An OS/2-only desktop publishing application
Editors and Viewers
- FTE Text Editor - A free, open-source text editor for OS/2, Linux, and Windows NT
- Fast Editor Lite - Small yet powerful programmers editor for OS/2
- MED - A shareware text editor for OS/2 and Windows
- PillarSoft's Enhanced E and EE editors - Small yet powerful editors, with some programmer features
- Andys Source Code Folding Editor - Cross-platform editor with the ability to group lines into a larger 'meta-line'
- Compile File Comparison Family - A set of cross-platform file-comparison utilities
- Interactive Code Analysis Tool (ICAT) - Source-level debugging for applications and drivers. Use this when your normal debugger fails.
- PMSysLog - An event logger equivalent to the Unix Syslog daemon
Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
Tools to work with help files and other documentation
- PPWIZARD - A cross-platform text processing languages. I use it to make this web page.
- PMStripper - Converts HTML to plain text
- VyperHelp - A visual outliner and editor for creating and converting to/from online help for OS/2-based systems
- DOC++ - A documentation system for C/C++ and Java that generates LaTeX and HTML.
- HTMIPF - Free HTML->IPF Compiler
Links updated Nov 27, 2005.
- Wotsit's File Format Collection - The specs for hundreds of different file formats
- Développer sous OS/2 - A list like this one, but in French
- OS/2 and Linux Topics - And yet another mostly outdated index
- OS/2 emulation layer for NT - Emulates over 110 DOSCALL functions under NT
- Christoph Bratschi's Homepage - Small programmer's editor, Netscape plug-ins, MCI tester, some file viewers, etc.
- Telvox Software Shop - Some kind of cross-platform CODEC, I'm not sure what it does
- Opt-Tech Sort - Stand-alone or linkable cross-platform sort utility
- OSCAR and Jol - A "Universal Menu System" for PC's and OS/390
- SMT - A multi-threading kernel for use with Libero (see above)
- Match Fonts - Programmer-related fonts in the "Special Fonts" section
- Mozilla Cross-Reference - Lots of great developer utilities, with source code, from the Mozilla project