Last Updated: April 06, 2001
This page is formerly known as "Timur Tabi's Programming Links", from the old EDM/2 web site. The contents below are copied as-is, without any updates. Obviously, someone needs to go through all the links and update them. Also, Timur is no longer involved in OS/2 and has nothing to add on any of the information on this page.
This web page is a comprehensive list of all OS/2-related programming resources on the WWW. If you are looking for information on software development for IBM's OS/2 operating system, this web page is your first stop. All of the links on this page have be divided into 47 categories, so you're sure to find what you need.
One of the great things about OS/2 is that its programming models haven't changed much since it was released in 1987. That means that for over 14 years, developers have been making contributions to OS/2 that you can take advantage of today. Almost all OS/2 software written in the late 80's still works on the latest version of OS/2 Warp, which means that you never have to reinvent the wheel to get the most out of OS/2. Compare that to Windows, where Microsoft forces you to rewrite your software every few years just to stay competitive.
Most of the links are to OS/2-specific sources of information, however links to generic (i.e. not platform-specific) sources are sometimes included for completeness.
This page only lists WWW resources. There are no pointers to ftp-able files, with a very few notable exceptions. There are, however, pointers to search engines and other pages that can direct you to a particular file.
Items that have been struck-out have invalid links, but it is not known yet where the page has moved or whether they have been deleted. Any information as to the whereabouts of these webpages would be greatly appreciated.
- 1 Conferences, seminars, tutorials, and user groups
- 2 Support pages
- 3 Online References
- 4 Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- 5 FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- 6 News groups
- 7 Low-level OS/2 programming
- 8 C/C++
- 9 Java (OS/2-specific information here only)
- 10 Pascal
- 11 Ada and Ada95
- 12 Modula-2, Modula-3, and Oberon-2
- 13 Assembly Language
- 14 FORTRAN
- 15 Smalltalk
- 16 REXX
- 17 Tcl/Tk
- 18 Perl
- 19 Prolog
- 20 BASIC
- 21 COBOL
- 22 PL/I
- 23 APL
- 24 RPG
- 25 Algol
- 26 Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- 27 Other Scripting and Messaging Languages
- 28 Databases
- 29 Internet and Networking
- 30 OpenGL
- 31 Lotus Notes
- 32 OpenDoc and SOM
- 33 Distributed Computing
- 34 Embedded Systems
- 35 Presentation Manager (PM)
- 36 Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- 37 XFree86/OS2 (X Windows for OS/2) and other Unix porting
- 38 Patches, updates, fixpacks, and corrective service diskettes (CSDs)
- 39 Installatation, configuration, and update
- 40 Version Control and Project Management
- 41 Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- 42 Applications with documented plug-in API's
- 43 Editors and Viewers
- 44 Debuggers
- 45 Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
- 46 Profilers, optimizers, validators, and listing generators
- 47 Miscellaneous
Conferences, seminars, tutorials, and user groups
Need OS/2 training? Want to meet other OS/2 users and developers?
- IBM IBM Global Campus Education and Training - Offers courses on several topics, including OS/2 development, at a city near you.
- IBM Education - More IBM training and education courses
- WarpStock 2001 - An OS/2 user/developer conference
- SCOUG Programming SIG - A special interest group of the South California OS/2 User Group
- HAL-PC OS/2 Developers SIG - Meet other OS/2 developers in Houston
- OS/2 Connect's user group list - A list of OS/2 user groups, including those with no online presence
Websites that provide a range of support options for OS/2 developers
- Netlabs - A repository for OS/2 open-source projects
Manuals and other online guides on OS/2 programming
- Stéphane Charette's reference page - Various INF files for online viewing
- IBMLink - Hundreds of IBM manuals online - you'll need to search for the OS/2 ones
- The OS/2 API Project - OS/2 API documentation on the web
- IBM Solution Developer Program Public library - Various OS/2 programming docs
- IBM BookManager - Tons of documents in BM format
Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
- Electronic Developer Monthly (EDM/2) - Your first stop for online OS/2 programming information
- OS/2 e-Zine - The premier OS/2 news source, with the occasional developer-related article
- Microsoft Systems Journal back issues - Although they're no longer online, the older issues have lots of OS/2 information.
- Russian EDM/2 - A Russian version of EDM/2
FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
- OS/2 Warp on the Net's list of software developers - A HUGE list of companies and individuals that do OS/2 software development.
- BMT Micro's OS/2 catalog - A collection of shareware OS/2 tools
- Hobbes' dev directory - LOTS of stuff, newly re-organized
- LEO's (Link Everything Online) OS/2 developer area - Another hobbes-like FTP site
- Free compilers page - Search for a free compiler of any language
- comp.os.os2.programmer.tools - OS/2 development tools
- comp.os.os2.programmer.porting - Porting software from other operating systems to OS/2
- comp.os.os2.programmer.oop - SOM, WPS, and other object-oriented OS/2 programming
- comp.os.os2.programmer.misc - General OS/2 programming
-  - Yahoo OS/2 Device Driver Development Group
Low-level OS/2 programming
Device drivers, real-time control, hardware access, etc.
- The OS/2 Programming Device Drivers mailing list - This page contains all driver-related information. Just go here!
- CFM TWAIN SDK - A toolkit for interfacing with scanners via the CFM TWAIN product
- STi TWAIN SDK - A toolkit for interfacing with scanners via the Solution Techology TWAIN product
- STi TWAIN DDK - A toolkit for writing drivers to work with the Solution Techology TWAIN product
- The Warped Code Cellar's OS/2 Applications - REXX interfaces for generic I/O, IEEE-488, and serial I/O. Info on touch screens and OS/2
- Elo TouchSystems - They make touch screens (monitors that can tell where on the screen you touch) with OS/2 drivers
- OpenWatcom.org - An open-source version of the Watcom C/C++ compiler
- IBM VisualAge for C++ - Version 4.0 is the latest, and the last
- Pentium GCC and GAS - Pentium-optimized version of the free GCC C/C++ compiler
- Lattice Optimizing C Compiler - A 16-bit C compiler and assembler for DOS and OS/2
- Professor Owl for OS/2 - Works with Borland C++'s OWL
- Simple Software Solutions' e_Fs - A cross-platform mini file system class library
- Simple Software Solutions' e_Comm - A serial/network client/server communications library
- RogueWave - Source for several cross-platform C++ class libraries
- Andys Dynamic Link Library routine - Cross-platform code for linking DLL's when the API names are determined at runtime
- The Standard Function Library - A highly cross-platform C/C++ library with source code
- Open Object Library - A free C++ class library
- C++ FAQ - The light version
- The WATCOM C/C++ Programmer's FAQ - With some OS/2-specific information
- Available C++ libraries - A huge list of C++ class libraries, for all platforms
- comp.lang.c.moderated -
- comp.lang.c++.moderated -
Java (OS/2-specific information here only)
- Aaron William's OS/2 Java Page - Just start here
- Jikes for OS/2 - A command-line Java compiler
- Data Representations - Home of the very cool Simplicity Java development environment
- SerialPort - Java serial port control for several OS's
- comp.lang.java.programmer -
- SpeedSoft Sibyl - Full-blown visual Pascal development environment
- Virtual Pascal 2.0 - Another cross-platform Pascal development environment
- LiveSystems Software - CSys toolbox for compressed file I/O and other stuff
- Irie Pascal - A cross-platform Pascal compiler which conforms to ISO/IEC 7185
- Free Pascal - A highly cross-platform Pascal compiler
- Prospero Pascal 5.2 - A Pascal compiler for DOS and OS/2
- Prospero Extended Pascal - And yet another cross-platform Pascal compiler
- TMT Pascal - Another cross-platform Pascal compiler
- comp.lang.pascal.misc -
Ada and Ada95
- AdaCore Technologies - GNAT (free Ada95 compiler) for several platforms. OS/2 version is at ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/private/old/os2/.
- Ada95 to OS/2 Interface - Let's you make OS/2 API calls to Ada. Can also be found here and here.
- comp.lang.ada -
Modula-2, Modula-3, and Oberon-2
- Peter Moylan's Modula-2 page - Extensive collection of links and info on Modula-2 and OS/2. Look here first.
- Polytechnique Montréal Modula-3 Home - Lots of Modula-3 Information
- Modula-3 on OS/2 - A Modula-3 compiler for OS/2
- comp.lang.modula2 -
- comp.lang.modula3 -
- Sandpile's 80x86 index - A very comprehensive site on x86 assembly language programming
- NASM, the Netwide Assembler Project - A free cross-platform assembler
- Pentium GCC and GAS - GAS is the free GNU assembler
- x86 Programming Tips - Opcodes and optimization tips on all x86 processors
- FWKTL - Lets you write self-modifying assembly apps
- DataRescue IDA Pro - Interactive disassembler now for OS/2
- The Art of Assembly Language Programming - 80x86 Asm tutorial and reference online
- comp.lang.asm.x86 -
- VisualAge for Smalltalk - For OS/2 and Windows
- Squeak - A Smalltalk virtual machine for OS/2
- InDelv Smalltalk library - An open-source XML/DOM library for various Smalltalk interpreters
- Smalltalk Systems Products - Various add-ons to IBM Smalltalk
- comp.lang.smalltalk -
- BREXX Page - Online REXX reference manual
- Mark Hessling's Home Page - Lots of Rexx and Regina information and files, including a Rexx manual
- LogiSoft AR's REXXBOS - A complete OS/2 system interface for REXX - great for REXX CGI scripts
- dSOFT Development - dbfREXX Rexx-based database tool
- RXSem - Semaphores for Rexx
- The REXX FAQ -
- NetREXX - Is it REXX or is it Java? You decide
- Ian Collier's REXX page -
- IBM Hursley's REXX page -
- Eric Giguere's REXX page -
- Using REXX to repair and control the desktop -
- DMOZ OS/2 Rexx directory - Open Directory Project's page on Rexx and OS/2
- comp.lang.REXX -
- Ilya Zakharevich OS/2 ftp directory - One of the Tcl/Tk ports can be found here
- Hobbes' Tcl directory - A collection of all things OS/2 and Tcl
- comp.lang.tcl -
- PMPro Prolog - Low-cost Prolog interpreter
- Visual Prolog from Prolog Development Center - Cross-platform Prolog compiler and IDE
- comp.lang.prolog -
- True BASIC - A full BASIC development environment for OS/2, Windows, and Macintosh
- OmniBasic - Cross-platform BASIC compiler
- comp.lang.basic.misc -
- IBM VisualAge COBOL - Version 2.2 is the latest for OS/2
- COBOL sp2 - A cross-platform GUI devlopment tool for COBOL
- COBOLTOOLS Easy Toolkit - A portability toolkit for COBOL platforms
- Micro Focus COBOL for OS/2 3.1J - In Japanese, so I don't know what it says
- Casegen for COBOL - Generates CICS appliations in COBOL
- comp.lang.cobol -
- VisualAge for RPG Client - IBM's RPG software runs on an AS/400 server and an OS/2 or Windows client, although the web page touts the Windows version
- Visual Tools/400 - An extension to IBM's RPG compiler
- OCCL Algol 68 - A cross-platform Algol 68 compiler
Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
- VisualAge Generator - A RAD tool for Java, I think.
- JBC's GpfRexx - A GUI builder based on Rexx
- Libero - A cross-platform visual programming tool for multiple languages
- Object WorkBench - A workframe for C++ and Java programmers
- ZMECH - A cross-platform visual CASE tool
- comp.lang.visual - Moderated
Other Scripting and Messaging Languages
Alternatives to Rexx
- ScriptEase 3.0 by Nobas - A multi-platform scripting tool
- OS/2 Database Mailing List -
- DB2/2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1 - Free download!
- Maxxum Consulting - Makers of the Base32 xBase compiler
- dSOFT Development - dbfREXX Rexx-based database tool
- mSQL - Small cross-platform database server
- MySQL - A cross-platofmr SQL database server
- IBM Data Management Products - DB2 and other database software
- Astrac Visualizer - A database/workgroup tool like Lotus Notes
- Simple Software Solutions' e_Db - A cross-platform database engine
- e_Db Database Server - A cross-platform database server
- DB-Fill - A cross-platform relational database testing tool
Internet and Networking
- Socket++ Library for OS/2 - A C++ library for TCP/IP socket programming
- OpenGL web page -
- IBM OpenGL web page - It talks only about the AIX version, but the AIX developers wrote the OS/2 version.
- Magician - A Java front-end to OS/2's OpenGL engine
- Lotus Domino - Use Notes as a web server
OpenDoc and SOM
- SOMobjects - SOM 3.0 for AIX, OS/2, and Windows NT
- IBM Software Development Object Technology downloads - Some OpenDoc and SOM documentation and tools
- IBM DCE Library - A variety of documents, some on OS/2
- DSP Development Tools - A substantial list from Embedded Systems Programming Magazine; only one or two support OS/2, but many are DOS apps.
- ESP Magazine's embedded systems develop internet resources - Tons of links to WWW resources on embedded systems development.
- Texas Instrument's DSP Village - Search on "OS/2", you'll find some OS/2-hosted compilers
- cc65 - A cross-compiler for the 6502 microprocessor.
- Lattice ES68 C Development System - A C cross-compiler for 680x0 systems
- JAL V2 JAL Version 2 Pascal like language compiler for MicroChip PICs microprocessors (OS/2 eComStation version).
- XWISP2 - an eComStation(OS/2) support program for the Wisp628/648 PIC programmer.
Presentation Manager (PM)
- Generalised Bitmap Module - Libraries and source code for loading, saving, and manipulating images in a variety of file formats
- S Lib - A cross-platform GUI library for OS/2, Windows, and Unix. From the makers of Stellar Frontier
- V C++ GUI Framework - Cross-platform GUI Framework, now for OS/2!
- Anatomy of a PM program - An article by Les Bell
- Shape Window for OS/2 PM - Non-rectangular PM windows
- FreeType - Replacement TrueType engine for OS/2
- Cell Toolkit - Library for Split Views and Toolbars
- Multithreading PM Applications - A document describing how to multithread your PM application
Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- IBM OS/2 multimedia and game programming archive - Lots of documentation and sample code, mostly from old DevCon's
- Crystal Space - A free 3D engine for OS/2 and other OS's
- RTMIDI, the OS/2 Warp Real-Time MIDI Subsystem - Real-time MIDI support for OS/2
- Digital Sound and Music Interface for OS/2 - Realtime audio mixing and more
- SEAL, Synthetic Audio Library for OS/2 - A library for playing audio files and streaming audio for PM and VIO applications
- Stéphane Charette's reference page - Various INF files for online viewing, including rare MMPM and gaming docs.
- SVGA & VESA Kit for emx - Write OS/2 programs that run in high resolution graphics modes
- SciTech MGL - Cross-platform 2D/3D graphics library, now available for OS/2!
- BlobCity - An OS/2 game like SimCity, with great multithreading and full source code
- Fly8 - A flight simulator, with source code
- Spiceware OS/2 Programming info - Utilities, drivers, and links
- DevBahn OS/2 Game Programming Sanctuary - My articles from OS/2 Monthly and other stuff
XFree86/OS2 (X Windows for OS/2) and other Unix porting
- The XFree86 Project - Homepage for XFree86, a free version of X Windows for various platforms
- XFree86/OS2 Project - Run X Windows and several X applications under OS/2
- EMX Support Page - Info on using EMX to port Unix apps to OS/2
- The EverBlue Project - An OS/2 port of xlib (xlib is like PM for Unix)
- The UNIX and OS/2 EMX Porting Companion - A guide to porting apps from Unix to OS/2
- EMX Resources - A list of applications ported to OS/2 using EMX
- /dev/random Support Page - A random number generator
Patches, updates, fixpacks, and corrective service diskettes (CSDs)
- IBM VisualAge languages - IBM VisualAge languages
- IBM Visual Gen - IBM Visual Gen
- Other IBM languages - APL/2, C Set, PL/I
- DB2 - IBM's DB2 database product
Installatation, configuration, and update
Create programs that install or configure your application
- Installer/2 and Uninstaller/2 - An open source installation package for OS/2
- SFX Installer - A one file archive/installation tool
- IBM Software Installer - The original software installation program from IBM
- WarpIN Software Installer - The new standard in OS/2 software installation!
Version Control and Project Management
- The Configuration Management FAQ - the FAQ for comp.software.config-mgmt
- Team Connection - The grand-daddy of them all. Too bad IBM no longer markets it
- PrjBld - Use the WPS to create and manage project folders
- ProjectFolder - A WPS IDE for Visual Age C/C++ 3.0
- ProblemTracker - Tracks bug reports
- RCS 5.7 - The GNU revision control system
- CVS for OS/2 - Concurrent Version System, like RCS but better
- Perforce - A cross-platform version control utility. SciTech uses it.
- Opus Make - A cross-platform powerful make utility
Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
- SecureIt - Registration protection for your shareware application
- HASP and NetHASP - Cross-platform copy protection
Applications with documented plug-in API's
- Sundial's Mesa/2 - Spreadsheet
- CadWare's BlueCAD 1.0 - An excellent small and fast CAD package for OS/2
- FaxWorks/PMfax API - An interface to OS/2's most popular fax software
- Maul Publisher - An OS/2-only desktop publishing application
Editors and Viewers
- Visual SlickEdit - An awesome editor. The latest OS/2 version is 4.0, but it's still great.
- FTE Text Editor - A free, open-source text editor for OS/2, Linux, and Windows NT
- Fast Editor Lite - Small yet powerful programmers editor for OS/2
- BOXER/OS2 - The Boxer editor for OS/2
- MED - A shareware text editor for OS/2 and Windows
- Kon - A shareware text editor with a built-in project manager
- Lugaru's Epsilon Programmer's Editor, - A cross-platform EMACS-like editor
- PillarSoft's Enhanced E and EE editors - Small yet powerful editors, with some programmer features
- Andys Source Code Folding Editor - Cross-platform editor with the ability to group lines into a larger 'meta-line'
- Compile File Comparison Family - A set of cross-platform file-comparison utilities
- Interactive Code Analysis Tool (ICAT) - Source-level debugging for applications and drivers. Use this when your normal debugger fails.
- PMSysLog - An event logger equivalent to the Unix Syslog daemon
Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
Tools to work with help files and other documentation
- PPWIZARD - A cross-platform text processing languages. I use it to make this web page.
- PMStripper - Converts HTML to plain text
- VyperHelp - A visual outliner and editor for creating and converting to/from online help for OS/2-based systems
- DOC++ - A documentation system for C/C++ and Java that generates LaTeX and HTML.
- HTMIPF - Free HTML->IPF Compiler
Links updated Nov 27, 2005.
Profilers, optimizers, validators, and listing generators
- Larsen Source Mapper - Generates source map from C source
- LxLite 1.21 - Reduce the size of your executables, DLL's, and even drivers
==Employment services for OS/2 Developers== Are you an OS/2 programmer looking for work? Are you looking to hire an OS/2 programmer?
- OS/2 Jobs Mailing List - Put "subscribe os2jobs-l your_email@address" in the body
- OS/2 Programming Device Drivers Mailing List Home Page - This page also contains a list of driver programmers available for work
- Iverson Software Directory - List of individuals and companies, including several with OS/2 skills
- Wotsit's File Format Collection - The specs for hundres of different file formats
- Développer sous OS/2 - A list like this one, but in French
- OS/2 and Linux Topics - And yet another mostly outdated index
- Holger Veit's page - Information on the OS/2 kernel and related, undocumented API's
- Harald Wilhelm's OS/2 applications - A collection of utilities for PM, WPS, and databases.
- OS/2 emulation layer for NT - Emulates over 110 DOSCALL functions under NT
- Christoph Bratschi's Homepage - Small programmer's editor, Netscape plug-ins, MCI tester, some file viewers, etc.
- Telvox Software Shop - Some kind of cross-platform CODEC, I'm not sure what it does
- Opt-Tech Sort - Stand-alone or linkable cross-platform sort utility
- OSCAR and Jol - A "Universal Menu System" for PC's and OS/390
- SMT - A multi-threading kernel for use with Libero (see above)
- Price Hunter - The best way to find OS/2 books
- Match Fonts - Programmer-related fonts in the "Special Fonts" section
- Mozilla Cross-Reference - Lots of great developer utilities, with source code, from the Mozilla project