This page is formerly known as "Timur Tabi's Programming Links", from the old EDM/2 web site. The content has seen some recent updates but is still not fully checked so you will find the odd dead link.
Most of the links are to OS/2-specific sources of information, however links to generic (i.e. not platform-specific) sources are sometimes included for completeness.
- 1 Other OS/2 and eComStation related web sites
- 2 Conferences
- 3 User groups
- 4 Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- 5 Project and source hosting
- 6 Online References
- 7 News groups
- 8 Magazines and Journals
- 9 FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents)
- 10 Low-level OS/2 programming
- 11 Visual programming, CASE, RAD
- 12 Embedded Systems
- 13 Presentation Manager (PM)
- 14 Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- 15 Version Control and Project Management
- 16 Applications with documented plug-in API's
- 17 Editors and Viewers
- 18 Miscellaneous
- 19 Historical computing and programming
- 20 Other Languages
- eCSoft/2 - OS/2 & eCS software news an listings - By far the best updated and most comprehensive out there - In both Italian and English.
- eComStation.ru - Loads of info in Russian and English
- OS/2 World - News, forums and Wiki.
- OS/2 Warp News and Rumors
- OS/2 and eComstation Korea South Korean user forums and so on, responsible for a number of OS/2 ports of UNIX software.
- OS2.org Forum - German language forum.
- WarpServer Blog - In German - News snippets on new and updated OS/2 software and more detailed blog postings on older ones.
- Alex Chapman OS/2 Home Page - Tad outdated in parts but useful info buried in between.
- Wisdomtree - Collection of eCS & OS/2 related links.
There are also a few related groups that have become invite only in the last couple of years.
- Warpstock - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held annually in North America
- Warpstock Europe - An OS/2 user/developer conference - Held annually in Europe
Want to meet other OS/2 and eComstation users and developers?
- SCOUG Programming SIG - A special interest group of the Southern California OS/2 User Group
- VOICE - A "virtual" user group, i.e. not geographically constrained and holds meetings only on-line.
- Wellington User Group - New Zealand
- Team OS/2 Hamburg - Germany
- A list of Worldwide OS/2 user groups - from VOICE
Companies and individuals offering OS/2 and eComStation services
- BWW Bitwise Works - Austrian company that offers custom OS/2 programming services and more.
- Arca Noae - USA based company, offers ArcaOS, driver updates, and sundry custom install, development, and deployment services.
- XEU - Dutch company that offers the eComStation OS and sundry related services
- eComStation.it/Massimo Sangriso - Italian integrator, provides all common services and sales locally.
- Neil Waldhauer aka Blond Guy - California, USA, does consulting and support of OS/2 related systems.
- Russ Harvey - OS/2 consultation and services in Canada
Project and source hosting
- Bitbucket - Offers both free and paid project hosting.
- Code Base - Project hosting - Not free but inexpensive and has more features than most free alternatives.
- Launchpad - Project hosting - Primarily intended for open source projects.
See also: Configuration management
Manuals and other online guides on OS/2 programming
- The OS/2 API Project - OS/2 API documentation on the web
- comp.os.os2.programmer.tools - OS/2 development tools
- comp.os.os2.programmer.porting - Porting software from other operating systems to OS/2
- comp.os.os2.programmer.oop - SOM, WPS, and other object-oriented OS/2 programming
- comp.os.os2.programmer.misc - General OS/2 programming
Magazines and Journals
- OS/2 e-Zine - The premier OS/2 news source, with the occasional developer-related article
- Microsoft Systems Journal back issues - Although they're no longer online, the older issues have lots of OS/2 information.
FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents)
- BMT Micro's OS/2 catalog - A collection of shareware OS/2 tools
- Hobbes' dev directory - Lots of stuff.
Low-level OS/2 programming
Device drivers, real-time control, hardware access, etc.
- The OS/2 Programming Device Drivers mailing list - This page contains all driver-related information.
Visual programming, CASE, RAD
- ZMECH - A cross-platform visual CASE tool
- JAL V2, XWISP2 - Software for Microchip® PICmicro® controllers
Presentation Manager (PM)
- Generalised Bitmap Module - Libraries and source code for loading, saving, and manipulating images in a variety of file formats
Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
- Crystal Space - A free 3D engine for OS/2 and other OS's, note that only older versions have explicit OS/2 support, but the code is fairly portable.
- BlobCity - An OS/2 game like SimCity, with great multithreading and full source code
Version Control and Project Management
- Opus Make - A cross-platform powerful make utility
Applications with documented plug-in API's
- CadWare's BlueCAD 1.0 - An excellent small and fast CAD package for OS/2
- Maul Publisher - An OS/2-only desktop publishing application
Editors and Viewers
- Fast Editor Lite - Small yet powerful programmers editor for OS/2
- Andys Source Code Folding Editor - Cross-platform editor with the ability to group lines into a larger 'meta-line'
- OS/2 and Linux Topics - And yet another mostly outdated index
- OS/2 emulation layer for NT - Emulates over 110 DOSCALL functions under NT
- Christoph Bratschi's Homepage - Small programmer's editor, Netscape plug-ins, MCI tester, some file viewers, etc.
Historical computing and programming
- Historic Documents in Computer Science by Karl Kleine at the Jena University, the latter being historically important since it was the primus motor behind the early ALGOL development, unusual for a then East European country.