Larry Salomon Jr.
Larry Salomon, Jr. was an OS/2 applications developer from version 1.1 in 1989 until OS/2 Warp in 1997. He wrote numerous applications, including the Scramble applet that was included in OS/2 versions 2.0-2.11, and the I-Brow, Magnify, and Screen Capture trio that was distributed on numerous CD-ROMs.
Larry is also the coauthor of the successful book, The Art of OS/2 Warp Programming (John Wiley & Sons) and was the publisher and editor-in-chief of EDM/2 from issue 1-04 to 4-07.
From the Editor
- 1993: Jul/Aug/Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- 1994: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- 1995: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Nov, Dec
- 1996: Jan, Feb, Mar, May, Jun, Jul, Aug
Questions and Answers
Larry has written the following articles:
- Introduction to PM Programming (1993-1995)
- A new intro, Events, Resources and Handles (December 1993)
- Basic concepts and components of a simple app (January 1994)
- The window procedure (February 1994)
- Dialog boxes and resource files (March 1994)
- Tdialog procedures and its controls (April 1994)
- The dialog procedure continued and the first window class (WC_ENTRYFIELD) (May 1994)
- WC_ENTRYFIELD cont., it's messages and associated concepts (June 1994)
- WC_LISTBOX class, its use, limitations and messages(some) (July 1994)
- nameDlgProc() and Listboxes (September 1994)
- WC_BUTTON class (October 1994)
- Ownerdrawn control and Button control (November 1994)
- WC_LISTBOX class (December 1994)
- Ownerdrawn capabilities of the WC_LISTBOX class. (January 1995)
- WC_TITLEBAR and WC_STATIC classes (February 1995)
- WC_MENU class (April1995)
- WC_MENU class continued (May 1995)
- A sample app. with a menu control (June 1995)
- Popup Menus, interacting messages for the menu control and neat possibilities for menus (September 1995)
- WC_SCROLLBAR class (March 1994)
- The use of scrollbars in an application (December 1995)
- The slider classes (February 1996)
- The Design and Implementation of VIOWIN
- Programming the Container Control
- Development of a New Window Class
- The Help Manager and Online Documentation (Oct 1993)
- Threads in PM Applications (Nov 1993)
- Writing a Direct Manipulation Spy (Dec 1993)
- Utilizing Hooks for Added Capabilities (Jan 1994)
- Sprites and Animation (May-Jul 1994)
- Watermarking Your Printouts (Jul 1996)
Never in a million years would I have imagined that EDM/2 would have survived this long. I am proud to have been associated with this publication for the time that I worked on it, and am prouder still to see that it not only has survived but evolved even!
Yes, I still periodically check here, though infrequently at best. It's good to know that the EDM/2 community is still alive and kicking. I will continue to stop by every so often. Keep up the good work!
-Larry Salomon Jr. Former EDM/2 Publisher and Editor-in-Chief
Glad to see you! How about republish your articles under new license? ;)
I meant to email someone about this, but my personal life has been..well..hectic to say the least. Until I email Adrian Gschwend (assuming his address is somewhere here or on the NetLabs page) with a definite confirmation (tonight, hopefully), EDM/2 may proceed with republishing as if permission is granted.
Is the new license the "Creative Commons" one? ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ )
Yes. License is CCL. Many author already confirmed permission to republish articles, but some author can't be reached (old email). Actually, confirmation can be sent to any person who willl republish articles. Like I done for republished articles (permission placed on author info page).
License to Republish
Consider this a definition confirmation then that any content of mine originally published in EDM/2 may be republished under the terms of the CCL. Someone should save this grant of permission for posterity. :)