IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0
Initial release of the VisualAge C++ product, it gets version number 3 since it is a follow on to the IBM C Set++ for OS/2 package, this was an OS/2 only product with Windows and AIX versions not showing up until v3.5 and 4.
- ANSI 1992 C++ compliant, supports templates but not namespaces that were introduced in a later ANSI STL standard.
- Available in German and Japanese in addition to English.
- IBM kept issuing fixes up until 2001 for the compiler which meant that it was in many ways the most stable C toolkit available for OS/2 both in regards to code and app stability, it is for many the most preferred version of the tool especially for driver programming although most application developers that do not need the visual tools that come with 3.0.x prefer using the later 3.6.5.
- Last known OS/2 version is 3.0.8-TFP2 for the English version, 3.06 for the German and Japanese versions
- Jim Williams: VisualAge C++. A panoramic View (1995) - An introduction to VisualAge C++ for C Set owners
- Roger E. Pett and Joel Troster: Moving Up to VisualAge C++ From CSet++
- C++ Compiler Review - Part 1 by Gordon Zeglinski (Aug 1995)
- Law; Love; Olson; Tsuji: Power Programming with VisualAge C++ - Wiley 1996, ISBN 0-471-16482-8
- Carrel-Billiard, Jakab, Mauny, Vetter: Object-Oriented Application Development with IBM VisualAge for C++ for OS/2 - Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-242447-9
- VisualAge C++ 3.0 updates
Study the readme text files that comes with the fixpack files, the fixpack files need to be installed in a specific order.