The GNU Gettext utilities are a set of open source tools that provides a framework to help other software produce multi-lingual messages, they follow and enforce a set of conventions about how programs should be written to support message catalogs, a directory and file naming organization for the message catalogs themselves, a runtime library supporting the retrieval of translated messages, and a few stand-alone programs to massage in various ways the sets of translatable strings, or already translated strings.
Due to the fixed structure of the gettext utility set and lack of flexibility in the convention they follow the toolkit is less useful for translations of GUI based programs than of programs with text based interfaces, the toolkit is in fact primarily useful in internationalising ports from UNIX like systems and for copying already made translations of such software to OS/2.
- Last known version: Gettext v0.19.6 (2015-11-07)
- kLibc 0.6.6
- libiconv 1.14-r2 or later
- expat 1.95.6 or later (-Zmtd build)
- GLib 2.12.4 rc1 (2006-12-21)
- You may want to download other tools to read the UNIX style documentation or to format the output of the diffutils but they are not absolutely necessary, consult the program documentation.
Open source software released under the GPL v3