This web page is a comprehensive list of all OS/2-related
programming resources on the WWW. If you are looking for information on software
development for IBM's OS/2 operating system, this web page is your first stop.
All of the links on this page have be divided into 47 categories, so you're sure
to find what you need.
One of the great things about OS/2 is that its programming models haven't changed
much since it was released in 1987. That means that for over 10 years,
developers have been making contributions to OS/2 that you can take
advantage of today. Almost all OS/2 software written in the late 80's still works on
the latest version of OS/2 Warp, which means that you never have to reinvent
the wheel to get the most out of OS/2. Compare that to Windows, where Microsoft
forces you to rewrite your software every few years just to stay competitive.
If you're looking for user-oriented information on OS/2 Warp itself, check out
my OS/2 New User Page.
Pages marked as (internal IBM only!) can only be
accessed from withing IBM's internal TCP/IP network. If you don't know
whether you can access them, then you probably can't. And since I
no longer work for IBM, I cannot personally verify the links any more.
Links marked in boldface type are significant and noteworthy. They either point to
very important resources or contain vast amounts of information. All OS/2 programmers,
regardless of their skill level, should be familiar with these resources.
Most of the links are to OS/2-specific sources of information, however
links to generic (i.e. not platform-specific) sources are sometimes included for
This page only lists WWW resources. There are no pointers to ftp-able
files, with a very few notable exceptions. There are, however, pointers to search
engines and other pages that can direct you to a particular file.
Items that have been struck-out have invalid links, but it is not known
yet where the page has moved or whether they have been deleted. Any information as to the
whereabouts of these webpages would be greatly appreciated.
Conferences, seminars, tutorials, and user groups
Need OS/2 training? Want to meet other OS/2 users and developers?
Websites that provide a range of support options for OS/2 developers
Manuals and other online guides on OS/2 programming
Magazines and articles with OS/2 programming content
FTP sites (or their WWW equivalents), search engines, and other indices
Low-level OS/2 programming (device drivers, real-time control, hardware access, etc)
PDD = 16-bit Physical Device Driver, VDD = 32-bit Virtual Device Driver
Java (OS/2-specific information here only)
Ada and Ada95
Modula-2, Modula-3, and Oberon-2
Visual programming, CASE, RAD, etc.
VisualAge for RPG Client
- IBM's RPG software runs on an AS/400 server and an OS/2 or Windows client, although the web page touts the Windows version
Other Scripting and Messaging Languages
Alternatives to Rexx NEW!
ScriptEase 3.0 by Nobas
- A multi-platform scripting tool NEW!
- A cross-platform messaging language. OS/2 version is in the works! NEW!
Internet and Networking
OpenDoc and SOM
Presentation Manager (PM)
Multimedia, Graphics, and Game Development
XFree86/OS2 (X Windows for OS/2) and other Unix porting
The OS/2 Netlabs' game porting page
- A resource for OS/2 game programming info, including a mailing list
IBM OS/2 multimedia and game programming archive
- Lots of documentation and sample code, mostly from old DevCon's NEW!
- A free 3D engine for OS/2 and other OS's
RTMIDI, the OS/2 Warp Real-Time MIDI Subsystem
- Real-time MIDI support for OS/2
Wordup Graphics Toolkit for OS/2
- By PolyEx Software
Digital Sound and Music Interface for OS/2
- Realtime audio mixing and more
SEAL, Synthetic Audio Library for OS/2
- A library for playing audio files and streaming audio for PM and VIO applications
Stéphane Charette's reference page
- Various INF files for online viewing, including rare MMPM and gaming docs.
- Converts icons and bitmaps from Windows to OS/2 and vice versa
SVGA & VESA Kit for emx
- Write OS/2 programs that run in high resolution graphics modes
- Cross-platform 2D/3D graphics library, now available for OS/2!
- An OS/2 game like SimCity, with great multithreading and full source code NEW!
- A flight simulator, with source code
Spiceware OS/2 Programming info
- Utilities, drivers, and links NEW!
DevBahn OS/2 Game Programming Sanctuary
- My articles from OS/2 Monthly and other stuff NEW!
Patches, updates, fixpacks, and corrective service diskettes (CSDs)
Installatation, configuration, and update
Create programs that install or configure your application
Version Control and Project Management
Copy Protection, Encryption, and Security
Applications with documented plug-in API's
- Registration protection for your shareware application
HASP and NetHASP
- Cross-platform copy protection NEW!
Editors and Viewers
Documentation generators, converters, formatters, and parsers
Tools to work with help files and other documentation
Profilers, optimizers, validators, and listing generators
- A cross-platform text processing languages. I use it to make this web page. NEW!
- Converts HTML to plain text
- A visual outliner and editor for creating online help for OS/2-based systems
- A documentation system for C/C++ and Java that generates LaTeX and HTML.
- Free HTML->IPF Compiler NEW!
Employment services for OS/2 Developers
Are you an OS/2 programmer looking for work? Are you looking to hire an OS/2 programmer?
Wotsit's File Format Collection
- The specs for hundres of different file formats
Phil Crown's OS/2 Programming Links
- A page much like this one - very extensive
OS/2 and Linux Topics
- And yet another mostly outdated index
Dave Briccetti's page
- Programming Tips and Samples (VisualAge, Internet, PM/UICL, etc)
Holger Veit's page
- Information on the OS/2 kernel and related, undocumented API's
Harald Wilhelm's OS/2 applications
- A collection of utilities for PM, WPS, and databases.
OS/2 emulation layer for NT
- Emulates over 110 DOSCALL functions under NT
Christoph Bratschi's Homepage
- Small programmer's editor, Netscape plug-ins, MCI tester, some file viewers, etc.
Telvox Software Shop
- Some kind of cross-platform CODEC, I'm not sure what it does
- Stand-alone or linkable cross-platform sort utility
OSCAR and Jol
- A "Universal Menu System" for PC's and OS/390
- A multi-threading kernel for use with Libero (see above)
- The best way to find OS/2 books NEW!
- Programmer-related fonts in the "Special Fonts" section NEW!
- Lots of great developer utilities, with source code, from the Mozilla project NEW!